Sister Cleopha Kelly, OP formerly Agnes Kelly, a member of the Sisters of Saint Dominic of Blauvelt, New York for the past 64 years died on September 23, 2015 in Nyack Hospital.
Sister Cleopha was born to Anthony Kelly and Bridget Spellman Kelly on December 7, 1932 in New York City. She entered the Sisters of Saint Dominic on September 12, 1951 from the parish of St. Luke, Bronx, New York. Sister Cleopha received the Dominican habit on July 2, 1952, professed her first vows on July 3, 1953 and her final vows on July 3, 1956.
Sister Cleopha held a BS in Education from Dominican College, Blauvelt, New York. From 1975-1977 she studied at NY Institute of Dietetics at Pratt.
Sister Cleopha’s many years of active ministry were varied. She ministered at St. Dominic’s Home as a group mother 1954-56; and 1969-1975. Sister taught in the following schools: St. Benedict, Bronx, 1956-1963; Holy Spirit, Bronx, 1963-1965; St. Aloysius, Livingston Manor, New York, 1965-1967; St. Luke, Bronx, 1967-1969. Sister Cleopha directed the food service program at St. Dominic’s Home from 1977-1982 and the food service program at St. Dominic’s Convent from 1982-1996. She became Coordinator of Support Services, St. Dominic’s Home from 1996-2000; Mother House Administrator from 2000-2004; Coordinator of Resident Life, St. Dominic’s Convent, 2004-present.
In addition to her religious congregation, Sr. Cleopha is survived by her brother-in-law Ralph Dell’Aera, her niece, Diane and her husband Robert Gargilio; her nephews: John Dell’Aera and his wife Donna, Peter Dell’Aera and his wife Marie, Mario Dell’Aera and his wife Susan; Stephen Kelly and his wife Meredith, Brian Kelly and his wife Doreen; Anthony Kelly; twenty grand nieces and nephews and several cousins. She was predeceased by her sister Bridget Dell’Aera and her brother Martin Kelly.