Frances Chesley, Associate, was a member of the Sisters of Saint Dominic of Blauvelt, New York since November 8, 1986 when she took her Associate Commitment until her passing on September 26, 2014. Fran grew up in Yonkers where she attended public school. In 1942, she married Charlie at Fort Benning and the next year he was sent overseas.
During the war, she volunteered with the Red Cross as a Gray Lady and worked as a clerk at Otis Elevator. While Charlie was gone, their first of seven children was born. From 1949 to 1958, they lived in Our Lady of the Rosary parish where Fran said that her love affair with the Blauvelt Dominican sisters began.
The family moved to Hopewell Junction, NY, and were members of St. Mary and then St. Columba parishes. She was delighted when the Blauvelt sisters arrived to teach at St. Columba’s School. Fran served as a lector, Eucharistic minister, and was a member of the parish council, Rosary Society, the St. Vincent dePaul Society and the Christianity in Action committee. Fran was employed by the Wappingers Central School District for many years where she held the title of being the oldest working cafeteria aide. She was a summer employee for many years with the East Fishkill Recreation Department as the Arts and Crafts Instructor.
Sr. Grace Imelda introduced her to the Blauvelt Associate Program and Fran was in the second group of women to make the commitment to join.
Fran was predeceased in 2007 by her husband Charlie and in 1962 by her son Charles. She is survived by her children, Tom, Raymond, Nancy Norris, Shaun, Maureen Burchfield, and Peggi Rolleri; thirteen grandchildren, and sixteen great-grandchildren. The Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated on at St. Columba Church followed by interment in St. Denis Cemetery.