SISTER FRANCIS MC LEAN, O.P. formerly, Margaret McLean, a member of the Sisters of St. Dominic of Blauvelt, New York, for the past 76 years, died on November 4, 2019 in the St. Martin De Porres Community at the Motherhouse in Blauvelt. Sister was 98 years of age.
Sister Francis was born to Francis and Catherine McGinty Mc Lean in Scotland. She entered the Sisters of St. Dominic on September 9, 1942 from Sacred Heart Parish, Bronx, NY.
Sister Francis received the Dominican Habit on August 24, 1943, professed her first vows on August 25, 1944, and final vows on September 2, 1947.
Sister’s many years in ministry were spent in service to youth. These included: teaching at
St. Dominic’s School in Blauvelt (1945-1948) and serving as House Parent at St. Dominic’s Home (1948-1954); teaching at St. Raymond’s School, Providence, R.I. (1954-1960); teaching at St. Mary’s Star of the Sea School, Bronx, N.Y. (1960-1962); serving as teacher/ Principal at Immaculate Conception School, Armenia, N.Y. (1961-1968); and teaching at Holy Spirit School, Bronx, NY (1968-1969). Sister Francis returned to St. Dominic’s Home in Blauvelt to minister as Group Living Director (1969-1972); Administrative Assistant (1972-1974); and Special Services Coordinator (1974-2015).
In addition to her religious congregation, Sr. Francis is survived by her nieces, Barbara Kennedy, Ann Marie Byrnes, Marian Ryan, and her nephew, James Kennedy. She was predeceased by her parents, Francis and Catherine, her sister, Anne, and her brother, John.
RELATIVES AND FRIENDS MAY ATTEND SERVICES AT:
· ST. DOMINIC’S CONVENT, 496 WESTERN HIGHWAY, BLAUVELT, N.Y.
· WAKE: Thursday, November 7, 2019 from 4-7 p.m.
· EVENING PRAYER: Thursday, 6 p.m.
· MASS OF CHRISTIAN BURIAL: Friday, November 8, 2019 at 10:30 a.m.
· BURIAL: St. Dominic’s Convent Cemetery
· In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Sisters of St. Dominic, Blauvelt, N.Y.
· Arrangements have been made by Hannemann Funeral Home, Nyack, N.Y.