Here are 10 Reasons why we must preserve our precious water:
- Think globally: Many of the world’s people do not have available water in the home and spend hours acquiring it.
- Less than 2% of the Earth’s water supply is FRESH water.
- Only 1% of that water is available for DRINKING.
- Only 1% of our treated water produced by utilities is used for drinking; the rest goes to lawns, washing machines, toilets and drains.
- A person can survive a month without food, but only 5 to 7 days without water.
- Water regulates the Earth’s temperature, it also regulates the temperature of our body.
- There are 6 inches between drinking water from the faucet and waste water.
- The average total home water use per person in the US is about 50 gallons a day.
- Every glass of water brought to your table when you eat out requires another 2 glasses to wash and rinse.
- We drive safely on snow and ice because our roads are salted. Continuing this practice is detrimental to our water supply for all living organisms.
Sister Dorothy Maxwell, OP