For a Sister of Saint Dominic of Blauvelt, New York, the Jubilee celebrates the anniversary of her entrance to the Congregation. The first celebration takes place on the 25th anniversary of that event.
The Jubilee Celebration is an opportunity to honor the Sisters faithful dedication to the Dominican charism, and their tenures of service that have lasted decades longer than the careers of most laypeople.
At this year’s celebration, which included a special Mass and dinner, 11 jubilarians were recognized:
- Sister William Marie Urell, O.P. – 80 years
- Sister Florence Dwyer, O.P. – 75 years
- Sister Paracleta Sweeney, O.P. – 75 years
- Sister Regina Mahoney, O.P. – 70 years
- Sister Miriam Catherine Nevins, O.P. – 70 years
- Sister Grace Augustine Canevari, O.P. – 60 years
- Sister Joan Clark, O.P. – 60 years
- Sister Thomas Joseph Durkin, O.P. – 60 years
- Sister Rose Andrew Egan, O.P. – 60 years
- Sister Patricia Lardner, O.P. – 60 years
- Sister James Patrick Kavanagh, O.P. – 60 years
One of the celebration highlights for Sister Miriam Catherine is seeing how the Sisters and Associates appreciate each other.
“People go out every way to thank you,” she said. “[The Jubilee Celebration] shows how we’re unique,” she notes, because at the Jubilee, the Sisters and Associates demonstrate their genuine affection for one another. From God and from one another, the Sisters and Associates draw strength to carry out the Dominican mission.
Maria Bohan is a Volunteer for the Communications and Development Office at the Sisters of Saint Dominic of Blauvelt, New York. She is a student at Bryn Mawr College majoring in English and a graduate of Pearl River High School.